Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Traveler Paws: Flying with pets



As I told you before, my cats will be flying from Argentina to Canada in some days.  I´m so happy (and worried at the same time: If you google stories of cats flying in the cargo you can read terrible stories of lost or frozen cats…).

Anyway, I trust my two babies will be ok, and in just days we will be together again… I will kiss them for all the kisses I didn’t give them in these 374 days apart.
Now everything is ready…  And I want to share part of my checklist with you, in case my experience can be useful for you too:

  • Get as much information as possible about the regulations and requirements of the country you are traveling to.
  • Also get information of what is required to leave the country you are in, and the requirements of the airline.
  • Book the flight as soon as you can. And let know the airline you are flying with a pet. Some airlines may let you take your pet on board with you (small dogs or cats).
  • Take in consideration the weather – temperature in both the country you leave and the one you are going to. It´s not recommended traveling with pets in extreme cold or hot weather.
  • Don’t sedate your pet. Some medication can be lethal or have adverse effects.
  • Get the kennel early, and let your pet sleep inside, get used to be inside. Give them rewards when they use it, and create positive associations. If you are traveling with a cat, some people recommend using a Feliway spray.
  • Attach big papers to the kennel, indicating it’s a live animal, the destination and contact information.
  • Also check that your pet is wearing a tag with contact information in the collar.
  • Secure the kennel with plastic strips.
  • The day of the flight don’t feed your pet too much.
  • Put an absorbent mat and also a cozy blanket for the cold during the flight.
  • Keep a lash in your on-board bag, in case you need to take the pet out of the kennel at the airport.
  • Once on the plane, ask the flight attendant to confirm to you that the pets are on board.

I hope this information may be useful.
I will keep you informed with the details of Klaus and Heidi flight…


Picture from Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment